Findon Fire Brigade.1938-2011.
Findon Fire Brigade was formed in 1938,then after the Second World War,in 1948 the station became part of the newly formed West Sussex Fire Brigade.
From 1938 until 1965 when this station was finally opened,the brigade operated out of just a large wooden shed that had been taken over by the local authority for the war effort and made into a tempory fire station just before war was declared in 1939.
On the 31st March,2011 having given some 73 years loyal service to its local community and the County of West Sussex,the fire station at Findon will be closed and those large red doors will come down for the very last time.
This photograph was taken in March and shows Findon's Dennis/JDC'Rapier'WrL at the station for that very last historical photograph.
Thanks go to Andy Beale(Findon)for his assistence in moving the appliance for that last photograph on such a poor occasion......The closing down of Findon Fire Station.
Picture added on 30 March 2011 at 18:55