The hosting costs of websites on this system have historically been covered by advertising. However changes in the way people use the internet, including ad-blocking mean that the revenues no longer cover the expenses. For this reason we will be closing this website within the next two months unless we can find a different model. If any users of the site would be interested in the possibility of taking this incredible archive or pictures and comments over including paying for hosting, please get in touch
Fire Engine Photos
Flints new fire station 1960
Flints new four bay Station opened on Chester road in 1960. The station replaced the old station at Earls Street. The first bay housed a 1959 Commer Karrier 21A Gamecock/Carmicael water tender SDM 826. The appliance was purchased new in 1959 with her sister appliance SDM 827 which was located at Prestatyn Station. The second bay housed a 1938 Leyland Cub Pump Escape BDM 308 which had served at Hawarden. (See photo sent in by Petros) Both SDM 826 and BDM 308 had transferred from the Earls Street upon the opening of the new station.
Located in the 3rd bay was 1954 AFS Bedford Green Goddess NYV 35.In the end bay was a 1955 AFS Bedford S type Hose layer NYV 632. The hose layer carried one mile of 6-in hose coupled together in 75ft flaked lengths. She also carried 6-in bridgeing piping and special couplings so that once erected could convey water through the pipeline over a road or carriageway without impeding traffic. She also carried a bikini raft. If any one knows what happened to NYV 35 or NYV 632 your help would be most appreciated.
Picture added on 24 January 2010 at 16:55