Gwynne Light Pump 1922
Exhibited in the Coventry Motor Museum...this light pump was built by the Gwynne Company of London in 1922....and was a demonstrator...it was later sold to the village fire brigade of Mountnessing, Essex.
In 1939 it was passed on to the works FB of Marconi at Chelmsford. During a night of heavy bombing during WW2, this little fire engine helped save the machine, paint and carpenters workshops by pumping water at the rate of 350 gallons per minute for no less than 24 hours.
In 1955 the pump was on display at Essex Fire Brigade HQ at Brentford. 14 years later it was restored by apprentices from Marconi Ltd and is now at Coventry.
The 950cc engine is rated at 8hp and will pump water at 100gpm at 100psi at an engine speed of 3000gpm
Photograph taken on 11/10/2009
Picture added on 12 October 2009 at 18:13