Preston Circus Fire station Brighton East Sussex
Preston Circus Fire Station in the heart of Brighton,East Sussex was built in 1938 on the original site of
the previous fire station on the same site built back in 1901,but due to larger equipment and a growing
number of firefighters meant a new and larger fire station was much needed.
The original station was built from the remains of an old Brewery demolished back in 1901 when the
road was widened to make way for tram lines to be laid,but long before this Brighton had its fire brigade
this dating back to the formation of the Brighton Fire Establishment back in 1831.
The new station was built with Portland stone and brick and was designed by Graeme Highet and was
opened by Earl Winterton in the May of 1938.It is still a classic design from the period and today it still
retains some of the old terrazzo and parquet floors,internal intricate banisters and also brass fittings.
Although the front of the station now as new up and over doors,the rear doors at the back of the fire
station are still the original ones dating from 1938,and have to be slide open so appliances can enter.
After having now served the population of Brighton for 70 years from this fire station,and actually from
this very site for nearly 110 years from the original old station(1901),sadly its just been announced
that Preston Circus Fire Station will in due course be closed in the near future and a new station built.
Sadly,long gone are the days when you'd walk past and see maybe 3 pumps,rescue tender,turntable
ladder,breathing apparatus/salvage unit,landrover,etc,etc filling all the bays,'oh those were the days.'
Today,the station at Preston Circus in Brighton houses,2 pumps and an Aerial Ladder Platform.
Picture added on 21 January 2009