The hosting costs of websites on this system have historically been covered by advertising. However changes in the way people use the internet, including ad-blocking mean that the revenues no longer cover the expenses. For this reason we will be closing this website within the next two months unless we can find a different model. If any users of the site would be interested in the possibility of taking this incredible archive or pictures and comments over including paying for hosting, please get in touch
Brothers Al and Ed Leicher were former coachbuilders who manufactured Minnesota's finest luxury automobile through the middle teens. Later devoted the factory to heavy trucks and fire apparatus.
Offered a motor hearse in their catalog starting in 1915. Since total Luverne auto production through 1917 was only 300 vehicles, hearse output was fairly small, probably less than ten funeral vehicles built in total.
A history of Luverne states that soon after the Leichers built their first car in 1904, they began building a variety of special-order vehicles: sleeper cars, an aluminum-bodied race car and automobile hearses.
Most of Luverne's bodies were 100% wood and their beautiful 8-columned carved-sided hearses were no exception.
Changed name from Luverne Motor Truck to Luverne Fire Apparatus in the mid twenties.